The MMA Files: The truth is out there – UFC on FOX 20
By Owen Phillips 25/7/16 Views
The MMA Files looks back on what was discovered at UFC on FOX 20: Holm vs Shevchenko.
– Valentina Shevchenko made Holly Holm’s striking look limited. Shevchenko always had counters for Holm’s combinations and looked a far more refined striker. It was counter-striker vs counter-striker and Shevchenko’s Muay Thai won the day. She has the advantage of having a good ground game and will give anybody trouble moving forward.
– Felice Herrig looked fresh and strong in a first round submission of Kailin Curran. The extended break for Herrig helped her rediscover the best version of herself and postioned the bantamweight veteran in line for big fights in the future.
– Gilbert Melendez looked reasonable after returning from his suspension but ran into devastating leg kicks from Edson Barboza. Melendez had a good game-plan that was effective, getting inside to hurt Barboza with his hands. The attempts to take Barboza down failed and if you can’t finish Barboza with a knockout or submission you will likely succumb to a loss through his kicking attack.
– Eddie Wineland broke a two-fight losing streak with an impressive performance against Frankie Saenz. Wineland showed patience after initial rocking Saenz and won by TKO in the third round. I can’t wait for Wineland’s next fight.
– Darren Elkins has the ability to stifle opponents who are creative and dynamic. Godofredo Pepey was another victim and he accepted guard way to often. If Elkins takes you down he will grind you out for the win. Boring but very effective.
– Jason Knight put on a ‘fight of the night’ performance with Jim Alers. Just for the trash-talking alone, Knight was entertaining but also showed a well-rounded MMA game. Alers showed a ton of heart and deserved the cash bonus.